Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Making Tomato Powder

  I used to wonder how they made those barbecue potato chips and now I think I have a better idea of how they are flavored. One of the main ingredients is powdered tomato. I always had wondered how tomato powder was made, so I was doing searches for tomato recipes, I found out.

  Here is what you do to make tomato powder; You take the skin off the tomatoes and dry them. Then you put the dried skins through a food processor or blender until ground fine. I take tomatoes and wash them off and place them in a slow cooker for about an hour, or until the skins begin to split open. Then I take the skin off and puree the rest. Instead of throwing the skin into the compost (although the compost bins can use them) I take them and dry them, they grind them into powder once they are dried.

Problem solved!

  You can add them to taco seasoning or sprinkle on a salad. I would love to see what the different colored tomatoes would look like, when the skins are turned into tomato powder!

  Did you know that the black krim tomato is very high in lycopene? Black krim tomato is a very dark tomato, like a deep purple one.

   Tomatoes come in red, yellow, pink, black (purple), green, orange, cream colored, and striped. Many are very pretty and there are a lot of heirloom choices available today.

  Some companies to order heirloom seeds from are; Baker's Creek (www.rareseeds.com) and Pinetree Seeds (www.superseeds.com). A good company I just recently found is Tradewinds Fruit (www.tradwindsfruit.com). They have lots of choices on both fruits and vegetables.

  Go to the tomato sections of these companies and look at the wide variety of tomatoes. You would be surprised of all the variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment