Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cooking Utensils/Cast Iron

This seemingly minor issue has some serious ramifications. I have a lot of crock pots and glass serving dishes, and have always used metal utensils with them. Being on several cooking/recipe mailing lists, I have realized that using metal utensils with the appliances, bowls, etc. is a no-no. The reason is simple. Metal utensils are too abrasive. I have noticed some wearing down on the insides of my glass bowls and crock-pots because of this. What is recommended to use is plastic.
   One other thing you really want to be careful of as well, is to never wash your cast iron skillet with soap and water. You can use water and a plastic scrubby thing (no Brillo, unless plastic) when cleaning it out. I use the sprayer to make the water come out forcefully on the pan. Also, cast iron can rust if water is left on it too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment